What does love look like?….A question so many people have often pondered. Some say it is romance. Some say it is bliss. It is one of those words in our English language that have so many meanings to choose from. Dictionary.com defines it as:
- A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person
- A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend
Though those definitions are nice…I can’t help but realize that these mere emotions or feelings….but isn’t love something more real?
To be honest with you, I have yet to find any better definition of what love TRULY is than in the following verses:
- “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.” -1 John 3:16
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” -Romans 5:8
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” -1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is so much more beautiful than momentary bliss. It is so much more powerful than romantic passion. There is not a word to describe what love truly is. All I can say is that Jesus loves you, and it is not the kind of love the world knows.
What is love?….This is how I know what love is: Though I am a nobody, Jesus Christ, my King, died for me. Not because of acts that deserve such a sacrifice, no, on the contrary; while I was still a sinner.
I pray that you can find rest and peace in Jesus and in his love (Matthew 11:28-30). It may be hard to understand, but I know Jesus thought of you while he was on that cross…Jesus loves YOU.